Decks Welded & Exploding Fuel Tank (Day 58 & 59)
Lots of welding this weekend & I am pleased to say, besides the fender top seams that this would be the last of the long days of welding long seams. This time I got sunburned from the arc, probably because of the reflection off the tin roof of the carport, boat sits high on the trailer now so it’s close to the roof & the heat bounces off everywhere, better wear sunblock.
With the floatation foam installed and decks now fully welded in I could start on testing and installing the fuel tank. Only problem is that during pressure testing, the tank blew its lid off at two of the plug welds because I forgot to regulate the pressure before I went inside to make a cup of tea! There was an almighty BANG!!! from the carport, my heart sank.....my neighbours refer to me as the ‘Mad Scientist’ which is pretty funny & now confirmed, definitely lived up to the name on the weekend.
Anyhow, the lid was deformed now so I had to cut it out with the ‘meat grinder’ blade then tried to straighten the lid on a concrete floor with a sledge hammer & some blocks of wood. That seemed to work OK & there was no need to cut-out a new lid. It was then time to weld the lid back on again so I wasted a huge chunk of the day fixing something that I shouldn’t have had to fix in the first place.
|Forward foam floatation, stuffed into every crevice possible|
|Forward deck tacked-in place|
|Adding foam as I move back|
|Foam was cut to size to fit between framing members. Polyethylene foam cuts easily & can be bent as well. I will be able to get the specified 1.25m3 of foam in the hull no problem but will put another 0.25m3 of floatation foam under the gunwales.|
|View of foam installed towards the rear, fuel tank recess will get filled in later once the tank is installed|
|3 x 6kg rolls of Safra 1.2mm 5356 filler + 5kg's of 2.4mm TIG rod so far!|
|Fuel tank lid with doubler|
|Screw holes set for fuel sender installation|
|Fuel sender installed|
|Inlet & breather pipes capped off for pressure testing|
|The right way, regulated and with no more than 3.5psi needed, pretty sure I accidentally had it a 40 psi when it popped the lid!!! Repaired & re-installed the lid and no leaks either which is great.|
|Decks are done, just need the plug welds sanded down a little.|
|The wrong way - Fuel supply pipe with connection to compressor which will shortly almost blow the tank lid off because I was silly!|
|I cut out an inspection hatch which will be tacked-in place then a bead of fuel resistant silicone installed around it. This is so I can get right in an look inside the tank in the future - View of fuel sender installed as well.|